Rules for Entry
1. You are encouraged to enter the category that best reflects your core business. If entering more than one category, then a separate and complete entry must be submitted electronically for each category.
Entrants may only enter one submission in any one of the following group of categories:
- Attractions – either category 1 or 2;
- Festivals and Events – either category 3 or 4;
- Tour and/or Transport Operators – either category 11 or 12;
- Accommodation – either category 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 or 24
2. Achievements or activities referred to within your entry must relate to the qualifying period 1 July 2012 – 30 June 2013.
Entrants must have traded for the entire qualifying period.
Exceptions apply to seasonal facilities and the following categories;
3 – Major Festivals and Events
4 – Festivals and Events
14 - Tourism Marketing
25 - New Tourism Development
where the activity being put forward for consideration must have occurred within the qualifying period.
3. Each category has specific entry requirements, which are articulated within the category descriptor. Eligibility must be clearly demonstrated as part of your response to Question 1a. Failure to demonstrate your eligibility will result in your submission being penalised.
4. All questions must be answered under the headings provided. Unanswered questions will attract zero points. If you feel that you cannot answer a question please discuss this with your Tourism Awards Coordinator. If you still feel the question is not relevant please explain your reasons within your submission.
5. Entrants must be based or operate in South Australia of their nomination.
An exception to this rule exists where there is a genuine community of interest allowing an entrant to choose to nominate in another state/territory’s Awards program. To qualify for this exception the entrant must be able to demonstrate proof of membership in a relevant association OR provide a letter from that state/territories tourism office confirming the entrant’s participation in marketing campaigns or activities.
Should a company have individual operational branches or properties in other states/territories they may enter the individual state/territory awards as long as the majority of the submission focuses on the activities undertaken in that state/territory.
6. An entrant, such as a chain or franchise that has multiple products, must enter each product individually if they want each property to be able to promote the achievement of winning a tourism award. Alternatively the business may enter but the logo may only be used by the corporate entity, not the individual products.
7. An entry cannot be moved into another category following the closing date for lodgement of submissions.
8. If at any time following submission of an entry the business being put forward goes into administration, voluntary receivership, liquidation or bankruptcy, the entrant is required to advise the Award Coordinator and accepts that the submission will no longer be eligible for an award.
9. There is no direct entry into the Qantas Australian Tourism Awards. Only state or territory tourism award winners in categories 1 through 26 will be nominated as finalists in the Qantas Australian Tourism Awards.
10. The submission must be formatted as follows:
Cover Page: the cover page of the submission must be included and must be clearly marked with:
- the name of the entrant;
- the category entered;
- the state/terriotry tourism awards entered; and
- an image (s) representative of the product entered.
Margins: No Minimum requirement
Font: All font (questions, answers, tables) must be no smaller than 12 point Times New Roman, Calibri or Arial. No variation such as narrow or condensed font styles is acceptable. However, photo captions may use a smaller font size down to a minimum of 8 point.
Format: All text should be 1½ line spacing (Microsoft Word) or equivalent, with the following exceptions:
- Text contained within a multi-column table may be single line spaced as long as tables do not represent more than 8 pages of the total submission.
- Question text and captions may be single line spaced.
- All pages must be numbered.
Layout: State the question then your answer.
Pages: The submission must have no more than 30 pages including text, graphs and images. Note: This does not include the cover page.
Note: The 30 page total does not include the cover page and contents page. Whilst a cover page is mandatory, a table of contents is optional.
Size of your pdf: Your submission should be no more than 20mb when you upload your document.
Compliance With Competition Rules
To ensure consistency and fairness in judging, the Rules for Entry must be strictly met.
Failure to follow the rules may attract a deduction of up to 15 points.
Note: In some categories the competition is very close and the deduction of any points could be the difference between winning and losing.
- Font that is less than 12 points – attracts 4 penalty points
- More than 30 pages – attracts 1 penalty point per page
- Failure to format to 1½ line spacing – attracts 4 penalty points
- Use of more than 8 pages of tables – attracts 2 penalty points
What do I Submit Electronically?
- Nomination details
- Entry details
- A pdf version submission. Refer to the rules for entry for specific formatting guidelines.
- The cover page of the submission should be clearly marked with:
The name of the entrant;
The category entered;
The South Australian tourism awards entered; and
An image(s) representative of the product entered.
- A description of no more than 100 words of your company/product, which will be used by media, for announcements at the presentation ceremony, in promotional material and on website listings. As this will be edited and compiled by people who have not viewed your submission please remember to include your company/product name and where you are located geographically.
- Ten images - jpeg format only, illustrating the entrant's operation should accompany each submission in each category entered. By supplying images, you ensure maximum exposure at the presentation ceremony and in official advertising and publications (Note: 500 dpi files in a JPEG format are preferred).
Refer to Instructions to Nominate and Submit via the E-Awards portal.