Flinders Ranges & Outback Tourism Awards Rules for Entry
1. You are encouraged to enter the category that best reflects your core business. If entering more than one category, then a separate and complete entry must be submitted electronically for each category.
2. Achievements or activities referred to within your entry must relate to the qualifying period 1 January 2012 – 1 February 2013
Entrants must have traded for at least 12 months of the qualifying period entire qualifying period and still be trading at the time of submitting their entries.
Exceptions apply to seasonal facilities and the following categories;
- Festivals and Events.
The activity being put forward for consideration must have occurred within the qualifying period.
3. Each category has specific entry requirements, which are articulated within the category descriptor. Eligibility must be clearly demonstrated as part of your response to Question 1a. Failure to demonstrate your eligibility will result in your submission being penalised.
4. All questions must be answered under the headings provided i.e. entrants must state the question then the answer within their submission. Unanswered questions will attract zero points. If you feel that you cannot answer a question please discuss this with the Tourism Awards Coordinator. If you still feel the question is not relevant please explain your reasons within your submission. Please note that appendices or supporting documents are not required and will not be judged.
5. Entrants must be based or operate tourism products and/or services within the Flinders Ranges and Outback tourism region.
An exception to this rule exists where there is a genuine community of interest allowing an entrant to choose to nominate in another state/territory’s Awards program. To qualify for this exception the entrant must be able to demonstrate proof of membership in a relevant association OR provide a letter from that state/territories tourism office confirming the entrant’s participation in marketing campaigns or activities.
Should a company have individual operational branches or properties in other states/territories they may enter the individual state/territory awards as long as the majority of the submission focuses on the activities undertaken in that region.
6. An entrant, such as a chain or franchise that has multiple products, must enter each product individually if they want each product to be able to promote the achievement of winning a tourism award. Alternatively the business may enter but the logo may only be used by the corporate entity, not the individual products.
7. An entry cannot be moved into another category following the closing date for lodgement of submissions.
8. If at any time following submission of an entry the business being put forward goes into administration, voluntary receivership, liquidation or bankruptcy the entrant is required to advise the Tourism Awards Coordinator and accepts that the submission will no longer be eligible for an award.
9. Nominees are encouraged to use feedback provided by judges from the regional awards to continue onto the South Australian Tourism Awards. However, there is no direct entry into the South Australian Tourism Awards, and there is no obligation to enter the South Australian Tourism Awards on regional tourism awards entrants. If you wish to enter the South Australian Tourism Awards you must submit a nomination once the nomination period commences. Only South Australian Tourism Award winners in categories 1 through 27 will be nominated as finalists in the Qantas Australian Tourism Awards.
10. The submission must be formatted as follows:
Cover Page: the cover page of the submission must be included and must be clearly marked with:
- the name of the entrant;
- the category entered;
- the tourism awards entered; and
- an image (s) representative of the product entered.
(Note: the cover page is not included in the 15 page allowance)
Margins: No Minimum requirement
Font: All font (questions, answers, tables) must be no smaller than 12 point Times New Roman, Calibri or Arial. No variation such as narrow or condensed font styles is acceptable. However, photo captions may use a smaller font size down to a minimum of 8 point.
Format: All text should be 1½ line spacing (Microsoft Word) or equivalent, with the following exceptions:
- Text contained within a multi-column table may be single line spaced
- Question text and captions may be single line spaced
All pages must be numbered.
Layout: State the question, then your answer.
Pages: The submission must have no more than 15 pages including text, graphs and images. Note: This does not include the cover page and contents page. Whilst a cover page is mandatory, a contents page is optional.
Hyperlinks: There should be no hyperlinks within your submission.
PDF: All sumbissions must be saved as a PDF document prior to uploading. If using a program other than Microsoft Word you will need to convert your file to a PDF using www.freepdfconvert.com
Size of your pdf: Your submission should be no more than 20MB when you upload your document.
Compliance With Competition Rules
To ensure consistency and fairness in judging, the Rules for Entry must be strictly met.
Note: In some categories the competition is very close and the deduction of any points could be the difference between winning and losing.
Failure to follow the rules may attract a deduction of up to 9 points.
- Font that is less than 12 points – attracts 4 penalty points
- More than 15 pages – attracts 1 penalty point per page
- Failure to format to 1½ line spacing – attracts 4 penalty points
What do I Submit Electronically?
- Nomination details
- Entry details
- A pdf version submission, including cover page.
- A description of no more than 100 words of your company/product, which will be used by media, for announcements at the presentation ceremony, in promotional material and on website listings. As this will be edited and compiled by people who have not viewed your submission please remember to include your company/product name and where you are located geographically.
- Five images - JPEG format only, illustrating the entrant's operation should accompany each submission in each category entered. By supplying images, you ensure maximum exposure at the presentation ceremony and in official advertising and publications (Note: 300 dpi files in a JPEG format are preferred).
- Refer to Instructions to Nominate and Submit via the E-awards portal
Please ensure your submission is lodged electronically to the e-awards website portal, by Wednesdy, 1 May 2013 by 5pm. Late entries will not be accepted. Please plan to get your submission in early.
All information submitted is strictly confidential. All persons, for example Tourism Awards Coordinators and judges, who may come into contact with your submission, are each required to sign a confidentiality agreement.
Flinders Ranges & Outback Tourism Awards judging is conducted by a volunteer panel of industry peers (from outside the region) appointed by the Flinders Ranges & Outback Tourism organising committee. The Tourism Awards judges are selected for their knowledge and experience, for their willingness to commit time to the Awards process and are convened specifically for the Tourism Awards.
The submission assessment is worth the maximum total of 100 points.
Please ensure your submission is lodged electronically to the e-awards website portal , by Wednesdy, 1 May 2013 by 5pm. Late entries will not be accepted. Please plan to get your submission in early.
By entering the Flinders Ranges & Outback Tourism Awards, you authorise the use and/or reproduction of images and the 100-word description provided in relation to any editorial/advertising purposes initiated in conjunction with the regional awards, State Tourism Awards and the Australian Tourism Awards.
Your contact details may also be supplied to agencies engaged on behalf of award organisers/committees for promotional purposes.
Under no circumstances will judges be held responsible for any comment, viewpoint or expression, whether expressed or implied, concerning the standard or quality of an entrant’s submission. By ticking the ‘terms and conditions’ box, you agree not to bring a claim against any Judge, or organising committee member or the South Australian Tourism Industry Council in relation to feedback on your submission.
The decisions of the Flinders Ranges & Outback organising committee and the Tourism Awards Judging Panel is final.
For further advice and information, contact the organising committee:
0411 480 541 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Regional Development Australia Far North
0408 679 166 or email@example.com
Regional Development Australia Yorke and Mid North
0429 093 167 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Wilpena Pound Resort
0427 344 159 or email@example.com
Rawnsley Park Station
(08) 8648 0030 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Coober Pedy Council
South Australian Tourism Industry Council
(08) 8110 0127 or email@example.com.